Saturday, January 30, 2010

Re-Sizing things


Hello lovely readers! Quite an exciting few days - so this may be a long, but full of fun post.

First of all, apparently I do not have the gigantic man hands that I always thought I had. Does anyone remember that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry dates the lady with man hands? Well, I do. So, there are basically two things that I've had to admit about myself - I have big hands and I'm a hairy p-rican. And two shows have helped me (yes, tv shows) get over my fears or worries or shame of these two things. Liz Lemon talks about her friend Tom Selleck, and Jerry dates a woman with man hands. I love moustaches, but not on me. And man hands, well, I don't want them. Anyway, not the point of this post. I found out today that my ring size is actually 5 3/4 not 7 like I originally thought! Hurrah! But, it's weird, my size 7 rings fit me. But, these guys have the instruments to measure the finger.

Wait. I need to step back. Today Tim and I went to get our rings re-sized. We put it off earlier this week - there was a down pour on M0nday, we called a few places and the turn around time for one place in Manhattan was 2-3 days. No big deal. We could wait a few days, we have just about everything else planned. So, we ventured into Manhattan in lovely 25 degree weather - probably around 8 degrees above zero with the wind chill, stopped at the farmers market and headed up to the diamond district. This place is practically hell for me since I really think that diamonds should be banned from being bought or sold - read any book on the diamond trade or watch the documentary Cry Freetown. I think that there is a more recent movie that documents the atrocities of the diamond trade called Blood Diamond, but I'm not one for Hollywoodizing tragedy, although, Hotel Rwanda was pretty brutal, it still whitewashed quite a bit of the destruction that happened to the nation. Wow, I'm feeling political tonight.

Diamond district. I should step back again - on Tuesday when we went to get the marriage license, we stopped by a jewelry store on Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights. A great man in a fedora, ribbed mustard yellow turtle neck sweater, and a tweed blazer looked at our rings, appreciated their quality and told us that we should take our rings to get re=sized in the diamond district. So, we found ourselves wandering down West 47th Street this afternoon. Now, many of the jewelry stores in the we cut peoples hands off so the rest of the world can have sparkly diamonds district are owned by orthodox Jews. So many weren't open today because of the Sabbath. Whoops. Forgot that. So, the store we were planning on visiting was closed. We got a bit flustered and ended up going into a store that read "wedding bands" on their sign. I've mentioned before in a previous post that most places will only re-size gold. And this place was one of those place. Very kindly, they pointed us to another place, in the back of this hallway? alley? a tiny shop that had no jewelry and there was barely enough room for Tim and me to stand side by side together.

We met a young guy, can't remember his name. Asked him whether they re-sized sterling silver. He was very enthusiastic and said "yes!". He had a bit of a hard time sizing our fingers, I began to get a bit nervous, and could feel it radiating off of Tim behind me. Then this short bearded older man shuffled through the door behind us, grabbed the measuring instruments, and promptly measured us, looked at the rings with the magnifying glass eyepiece, talked about the metal, gave us a price, and told us they would be ready while we waited and we could watch the whole process if we wished!! It was awesome. We went through another hallway, up an elevator, and found where jewelry was re-sized, polished, made. A tiny room with three men and tons of tiny tools and FIRE! Lots of blow torches. The fire turned blue or green or stayed orange depending on the the metal or solvents that were applied to the ring. What a fantastic afternoon. Our rings fit us, they are incredibly shiny - I'm actually wearing my ring right now while I'm typing! Shh!

Now readers, I am looking for shoes. Help! I think that I would like red shoes, now that I cannot wear the fun Marie Antoinette shoes with the dress (although, I get fitted on Thursday YAY! and I am going to bring along my Marie Antoinette shoes just in case.) So, I would love to find some red shoes (or burgundy or some other variation of red) that are similar in style to the Marie Antoinette shoes. I know, I live in NYC where I should be able to find any type of shoe I wish. And I'm looking. But as the subway ads with oodles of pairs of eyes says, or something along these lines, if you see something say something - sorry, not the right spirit - but if you see any red pumps that are styled like the marie Antoinette shoes, let me know asap!

We are down to two weeks!! Didn't cover everything I wanted to in this post, but hooray, more to write tomorrow!

And, I slept until 7:30 today!

3 comments:

jilly said...

Hey Olivia! Congratulations!

Have you tried Zappos.com for shoes? They have a huge selection and the shoes arrive super fast (like within 2 days and they have a good return policy)! They also tend to be cheaper than some stores, depending on your price range. Hope that helps! It all seems so exciting!

positivgal said...

Jill!!! Thanks for the tip. I looked at zappos for a few hours the other day. Found out that that shoes will be provided for us - one of those late (happy) surprises! So I'm going to sew some ribbons into the shoes... I think they'll look pretty sassy!

Unknown said...

For shoes- have you tried a Fluevog (sp?) retailer? Email me if that doesn't make sense- Carey