Monday, January 25, 2010

The reception

Hello readers. Today was a day full of lots of rain and wind. We had much to do today - just a few things on the list - get the rings re-sized, get the marriage license, finalize the plan for the restaurant where the 'reception' is being held, get fantastic shoes (see previous post) cleaned, and, maybe that's it.

I'm just going to pause, and address the fact that Tim is watching Ellen right now. He loves women's talk shows. I think I'll have to address this in another post.

Anyway, I woke up at 8am!! woohoo! today and saw the deluge. It was raining super hard today. And I watched the wind blow garbage cans around. Normally, I love rainy days - I love you Karen Carpenter, but rainy days and Mondays do not get me down. In fact, as my grumpy husband-to-be stomped into the kitchen to make his coffee, I sang this very song to him. But with all we had to do today, not so happy.

We looked at our list of things to do and looked outside and furrowed our brows. What did we really need to do today? Miriam was necessary (I had the day off today) because we had to look at how we are going to set up the tables and chairs and see if it was even feasible to fit 24 people in this tiny restaurant. And Tim made an appointment with the owner Rafi. So, that had to be on the list.

Ring re-sizing. After searching for a place to get our rings re-sized, the only hopeful place was near Rockefeller Center. Boo! One place on Montague street might do them (Montague Street is very close to the Municipal Building where we get the marriage license), but they really only re-size gold rings. Tim said that they do that so they can keep the gold. Anyway, the place in Manhattan has a 2-3 day turn around, so we crossed that off the list for today.

Next, the marriage license. Since we absolutely had to go to the restaurant which is not near the Municipal Building, we made a deal that we would get the Marriage license tomorrow.

So, the restaurant. We love it. Tim and I have gone to this place for the last 2 1/2 years or so. Funny enough, we actually had a pretty bad fight here one night. But, that's long behind us. We've had successful trips there in the recent past. My library ladies and I go to this restaurant whenever we have a night out together. It's the best. It's called Miriam Restaurant. A lovely Israeli restaurant in Park Slope Brooklyn. The owner, Rafi, spent an hour with us, going over our selected menu, setting up the tables, and I would say, 3/4 of our time was spent tasting wine. I was quite tipsy when we left. We picked out 4 great wines, two Israeli. He was so wonderful to us and I am so excited to have the 'reception' there.

I put the word reception in quotes because, this really isn't a wedding reception in the traditional sense. Yes, there will be eating and drinking. But, and maybe the only thing that I am sad about in this whole wedding extravaganza, is no dancing. No, the reception is not taking place in the small rural town in Footloose where dancing and rock and roll are banned. But there is no room and no music (although Miriam plays great music). So, we'll have to figure things out. Maybe Tim and I will have to dance to Prince in the apartment. Or perhaps we'll dance on the subway on the way to Miriam. We'll see. But a great day overall! Things are getting done!

No comments: