Monday, January 18, 2010

You Are Invited!


Well readers, the invitations will be in the mail tomorrow. How fun this was - I wonder why I was so afraid of planning this before. I guess, again, that we have such a close deadline to actually get this wedding on the ground, that it is just something we have to do. Thirteen invitations have been addressed tonight - each with a special Fun Fact! about the Empire State Building. I figure people can get facts about me and Tim's relationship here. Or they can ask us.

I remember visiting a stationary store one time, listening to a bride to be pick out colors, paper, font, words, graphics, envelopes, tissue paper. I'm giving myself a panic attack thinking back to this moment. Why do women feel the need to make things so fancy? And so complicated and pay so much for something that can be done so simply? I'm not knocking them (oh, knock knock joke coming up) but, I really don't understand it. I spent two lunch hours photoshopping Tim and me onto the Empire State Building. Yeah, it's ridiculous. But it was fun! I stamped a bunch of snowflakes around us in the hope that it snows on our wedding day! I love snow. In fact, going a bit of topic here, but stay with me, I found a really beautiful band today with snowflakes on it! Imagine a wedding band with snowflakes!!! It's great - Tim is the desert, I am the tundra. we are both the same landscape in our own way.

Anyway, um, back to invitations. I wrote the necessary info on the back, used a nice font and color and voila! We have an invitation. They are postcards. We have a local copy shop where two very helpful gentlemen helped me. No waiting, good cardstock, great work. Thank you Park Slope Copy Center! And, I didn't use any excess paper nor did I pay a fortune for the cards. Simple. Stress free.

So, if you are coming to the wedding, your invitation is in the mail. For the rest of you, we'll be in touch... again, I'm sorry that we can't invite everyone that we want to. We really wish we could because we do want to infect you with our happiness. Ha! That sounded silly.

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Butter.
Butter who?
Butter invite me to the wedding.

And, that's it for tonight.

2 comments:

Hanna Maz said...

Women do over complicate things...so do men, but usually those are different things. I think its just our nature as humans to naturally make things way more complicated than they need to be. Thus, when things are simple and easy we are surprised...or suspicious. When I graduated last year my mom and I went to the local card shop to pick out "announcements" ostensibly so that when friends and family received these "announcements" they would be prompted to send me money, on account of what we were announcing was my transition to poor college kid. This experience/ordeal leads me to agree, there are a lot of things to get anal about and a lot of things to really focus on, the card isn't one of those things. I say, make it classy and move on.

positivgal said...

Very succinct Hanna. I realize that I am probably offending some people in the world - in that they want things to be classy and nice, that they want things to be perfect. But we can do that ourselves... I just couldn't handle the stress. Maybe it says more about me than it does about fancy bride. I mean, the focus should be on the happiness of the moment - and all future happiness of the family - not the tiny details that no one will remember. Thanks for reading!