Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rings! Or, just one. So far.


Hello readers. I haven't posted in a few days. But for very good reasons. First - we brought dinner to some very dear friends - the two in the photo. These people are Amy Fix and Tim Dubnau. I lived in the apartment above theirs when I first moved to Brooklyn. I love them. We've been friends for the last 4 years and they just added a wee little baby to their family - Roxy is going to be 3. Anyway, we wanted to see them and to tell them that they were invited to the wedding and we brought them tasty treats - they have taught Tim and I a lot about living in New York City and to remember that you do need to get out once in a while. They are awesome.

Anyway, that is why I didn't post on Friday. Last night, well, really no excuses. I guess I was just super tired. I've watched the sun rise everyday since oh, I guess last Saturday or Sunday. So, I went to bed a little early last night and woke up after the sun rose today! Hooray sleep.

So, now I sit back with a delicious Brooklyn Lager, yum, and have exciting news to tell you. I went ring shopping today at the Brooklyn Flea Market! What a fantastic place! It's in the old Williamsburg Savings Bank building at Hanson Place and Atlantic Avenue. Some of the shops are in the vault of the old bank! Really fun.

So, my mission was to find our wedding bands. I'm waiting for Tim to get his ring sized, but I thought this would be a good place to go to begin my search. Boy, am I glad that I did. I thought that it would be really difficult to find a ring for Tim. He doesn't wear jewelry and frankly, he has petit hands (sorry Tim, everyone knows). And I had really high expectations for something unique and special. Like Tim! I am also looking for my ring/s/. Haven't really decided if I should get a band and pretty sparkly type ring or just a band. I guess we'll see what I find. Anyway, I'm so excited because I found the perfect ring for Tim!! Success. I love this ring. I think it might be a little too big for his finger, but we can resize that right? It won't ruin anything with the design. The design. So, it is sterling silver and I guess the best way to describe it would be to say that Georgia O'Keeffe designed it in New Mexico. It has swirls like her flowers and a longhorn head, like her cattle skull paintings. And, considering we found out that we won the contest on a day that we saw a great O'Keeffe exhibit at the Whitney Museum. If I had to give you the essence of this ring, well, take a look at this beautiful O'Keeffe painting. I know, this isn't a longhorn. But, just pretend.

So, now I must go and find my ring/rings. Adventure in Soho tomorrow - some pretty fun vintage shops that I have in mind. Not, I'm going to begin making paper flowers for the brunch party.

No comments: